top of page
  • Writer's picturePaul J. Phipps, Esquire

Paternity - Child's Surname (Last Name)

Updated: Mar 24, 2020

In some instances a child born out of wedlock is given the Mother's surname. When a paternity action is filed the Mother of Father can request that the minor child's surname be changed to that of the Father's. It is important to note that a request to change the child's surname to that of the Father's is not automatically granted. If the Mother disagrees with the changing the child's last name, the Father must present evidence that it is in the child's best interest and, or, promotes the welfare of the child.

In the event the parents agree to change the child's surname or the Court grants the request, a Court Order will be entered changing the child's name. The parents can use the Court Order to change the name on the child's birth certificate and any other important or legal documents.

Call Phipps at (813) 600-3201 or Contact Us to schedule a free 15 minute telephone consultation to better understand your rights and to learn how legal representation may benefit you with your specific situation.

5 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page