top of page
  • Writer's picturePaul J. Phipps, Esquire

Domestic Violence - Who Can Seek an Injunction for Protection Against Domestic Violence

A victim of domestic violence in Florida can petition the Court to enter an injunction for protection against domestic violence. This type of injunction is designed to protect a domestic violence victim from the abuser. An injunction for protection against domestic violence is issued in the civil court and is not the same as a no contact order that may be issued by a criminal Court. If a crime of physical violence is being committed against you, or if there is an emergency, you should consider calling 911 and seeking the assistance of law enforcement.

According to Florida Statute 741.28(3) a family or household member that is eligible seek an injunction for protection against domestic violence is defined as "spouses, former spouses, persons related by blood or marriage, persons who are presently residing together as if a family or who have resided together in the past as if a family, and persons who are parents of a child in common regardless of whether they have been married. With the exception of persons who have a child in common, the family or household members must be currently residing or have in the past resided together in the same single dwelling unit."

Call Phipps at (813) 600-3201 or Contact Us to schedule a free 15 minute telephone consultation to better understand your rights and to learn how legal representation may benefit you with your specific situation.

5 views0 comments


bottom of page