top of page
  • Writer's picturePaul J. Phipps, Esquire

Divorce - Relocation with Child(ren)

Florida Statute 61.13001 defines "relocation" as a change in a parent's principal place of residence of at least 60 consecutive days and at least 50 miles from the parent's principal place of residence at the time the last Court Order establishing or modifying time-sharing was entered. If no time-sharing Court Order has been entered, but a Dissolution of Marriage action has been filed and served, the parent that wishes to relocate with the child(ren) must still abide by this rule.

To comply with Florida Law the parent who desires to relocate with child(ren) must either obtain written agreement of the other parent OR must seek permission to relocate by filing a Petition to Relocate with the appropriate Court. Florida Law requires that a Petition To Relocate include specific information and specific wording. If the Petition To Relocate does not comply with the specific legal requirements it will likely be denied.

The parent objecting to a Petition to Relocate must file an appropriate objection timely. Failure to file a written objection that complies with Florida Law including but not limited to filing the written objection within a specific time frame, may result in the Petition to Relocate being granted.

After all the proper pleadings are filed and served, the Court will hold a hearing to determine whether or not to grant or deny the Petition to Relocate. During the hearing the Court will receive and review evidence presented during the hearing and will analyze and apply the factors listed in Florida Statute 61.13001(7).

12 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page